Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Letter to my Local Representative in Support of the Abortion Law Reform Bill

Dear Ms. Maddigan,

With the scheduling of debate on the Abortion Law Reform Bill in the Legislative Assembly due to begin on 9 September I would like to take this opportunity to inform you of my support for the removal of abortion from the Crimes Act, and for the right of women to seek and obtain a legal and safe abortion.

I ask that you support the right of women to exercise and maintain autonomy over their body, and to support and vote in favour of the Bill.

However, I am concerned that the Bill reflects Model B of the Victorian Law Reform Commission's report on abortion law. I support Model C of the VLRC's report, and further ask that you support amendments to the Bill that reflect Model C. This would bring Victorian law in line with that of the ACT. I also ask that you reject any amendments that would delay or deny women access to abortion. Such amendments may include the imposition of unnecessary regulations on abortion providers and mandating referrals, "cooling off" periods and counselling, all in the name of "protecting" women. I believe that such amendments would be proposed by those that do not support the right of women to seek abortion, and wish to hinder women's autonomy and choice by treating women as unable to make rational decisions for their own well-being and in need of paternalistic care and "protection". Such attitudes are anathema to a society that respects women.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Sincerely Yours,

Stephen Moore
[address]

PS I am the author of the blog Holocene Hominoid (http://holocenehominoid.blogspot.com/). I have posted this letter to the blog as part of my advocacy of this issue. I ask permission to allow me to publish any reply to this letter you may write me on my blog.

~*~

Update: Ms. Madiggan has replied to my email to her. She supports the Bill, and believes Model C does not have enough support to pass the Legislative Council.

No comments:

Post a Comment