Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Atheist Q&A

Over on scienceblogs erv is playing tag with 10 questions for atheists. She has tagged everyone on her (yet to be published) blogroll, and since I've got my name down on that, I'm it.

Q1. How would you define "atheism"?
The lack of a belief in deities

Q2. Was your upbringing religious? If so, what tradition?
No. Did the Sunday School and Church thing, but only off and on; a year or two here, a year or two there. No Bible readings at home, or grace before dinner. Religion was a couple-of-hours-once-a-week thing. Sunday School was with the Uniting Church, Church was the Anglican Church, within which I was both Baptised and an infant and Confirmed as a teen.

Q3. How would you describe "Intelligent Design", using only one word?
Idiocy

Q4. What scientific endeavor really excites you?
Anthropology. Love it, love it, love it!

Q5. If you could change one thing about the "atheist community", what would it be and why?
The "atheist community"? Nothing, really. We are a disparate community, some vocal, others taciturn. What I would like is for atheism to be so mainstream and normal that speaking of an "atheist community" would not make much sense.

Q6. If your child came up to you and said "I'm joining the clergy", what would be your first response?
Dumbfoundedment

Q7. What's your favourite theistic argument, and how do you usually refute it?
Don't really have a favourite one.

Q8. What's your most "controversial" (as far as general attitudes amongst other atheists goes) viewpoint?
Not that I've discussed it with anyone, but I suppose it would be that bestiality and incest are not in themselves immoral, and that both crimes be removed from the statutes.

Q9. Of the "Four Horsemen" (Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens and Harris) who is your favourite, and why?
Hitchens, because he doesn't mince his words; a spade is a spade.

Q10. If you could convince just one theistic person to abandon their beliefs, who would it be?
Just one? Probably one of my family, though whom in particular I could not say.

Otherwise, the Bishop of Rome.

~*~

So there it is, ten questions asked and answered. I'm supposed to now tag some other blaggers, but I'll just throw a hat in the air. If you want to catch it, do so. And if you don't, just kick the hat into the nearest bush or shrub. No one will know.

No comments:

Post a Comment