Monday, March 3, 2008

In the beginning...

G'day, and welcome to Holocene Hominoid.

As this is my first post I'd thought I'd start off by writing a general introduction with a Q&A.

Here goes.


So, you want to write a blog. Why?

I've been thinking about staring a blog for a while now, but have put it off because I've not been sure why I wanted one or what I would write about. After all, what could I write that would be worthwhile publishing and present to the world. There are others out there who write about what I am interested in, but are more knowledgeable and qualified.

Well, I'm calling bullshit. Such thinking is a load of tosh. I'll write because I have something to say, and that's all the reason needed.

So what is it you want to say?

Buggered if know. I'll think of something. Like the blog description reads, miscellaneous musings and random ramblings.

But I am interested in science, anthropology, archaeology, and many other ologies, human rights, feminism, skepticism, atheism, and, well, whatever takes my fancy, so I'll probably end up writing about such things.

Fair enough, but then why now? What spurred you to action?

A vile little pamphlet in the mail delivered by Tell the Truth Organisation, and its associated blog.

I can not remain silent. Christofascism used to be something foreign, but it is now raising it's ugly head in Australia. It must be fought against.

What about the name, Holocene Hominoid? Please explain.

You may have heard of the Jurassic, perhaps even the Triassic. These are geological periods. We live in the geological period know as the Holocene.

As for hominoid, well, I am a member of the species Homo sapiens. Humans are apes, and hominoid means ape. Usually when people think of apes they think of the great apes - chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans. We humans are great apes too. Collectively we are called hominids (from the biological classification of the Family, Hominidae). But often, people don't know about the lesser apes, the gibbons (Hylobatidae).

Poor gibbons, left out and all by their lonesome. Won't someone think of the gibbons?


Well, together, the two Families of Hominidae and Hylobatidae comprise the Superfamily Hominoidia, the apes. Hence Hominoid.

Put together I am a Holocene Hominoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment